Monday, November 21, 2005

Shio ame?! (and the kids)

I think it's about time for another edition of Funny Things My Students Have Written. It's been a while since my last (and only) edition, and the summertime essays have yielded a healthy crop.

But first, while I've still got it in my mouth, there is such a thing as salt candy. Cheeky Supervisor gave me a piece, insisting it was delicious. It's sweet, and kinda salty. I don't know how else to describe it, except that it reminds me of gargling with warm salt water, and that reminds me of yuck.
He gave me a piece of molasses candy a couple of weeks ago, in an attempt to make up for the Werther's he'd swiped from me, but I don't like molasses. He asked me what kind of candy I do like.
"Um... Werther's."
He still hasn't replaced it.

But back to the students. Here's something I've had sitting in my notebook for months now. I think the assignment was to write about their favorite part of the school day. Most kids, naturally, wrote about their free time between lunch and fifth period, and some about their club activities. This one, though, was a little different:
My school has a end finish time.
Because Thank God!
We can go home at last.
The next one is one of the poems the 3nensei students have to write, which featured prominently in my last edition.
Tired
I'm tired
I'm very tired
I'm very very tired
tired
According to my JTEs at Yokota JHS, this poem was written by a boy who "always writes like this." I was really at a loss as to how to grade it. On one hand, he only used three words. On the other hand, it made me laugh, and I think that was intentional; he effectively communicated something. I gave him a B+.

These last two are from 2nensei at Nita JHS writing about their summer vacations.
Tuesday, August 16
I was sleepy.!!
I was tired. [sweat drops]
I was sleepy!!
I went to bed at ten.
It's funny that she seems to be defending herself.
The next one is my favorite:
I went to a flea market last Sunday.
There CD and books and clothes.
There were lots of people.
They were lost in the forest.
It was terrible.
Whoa, what a plot twist! Did anyone see that coming? This kid's got a future in Hollywood. On second thought, maybe Japan needs good scriptwriters more than the US does.

3 comments:

K said...

I love the last one! Lost in the forest...aren't we all a little lost in the forest these days?

I ordered my Ipod!! Yipeee!! I had a Japanese saying engraved on it. I can't remember how to say it but it pretty much means "smile and happiness will follow". Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Do you remember how long yours took? It said 1 - 3 weeks. I will be screwed if it takes 3 weeks. My holiday begins pretty early this year.

Take care and I hope they've turned the heaters on at your school(Dec 2 for me...brrrrrr).

Anonymous said...

Salt candy? I think you want to try salmiakki. Finnish salty liquorice.
mmmmm

Emily K said...

K: I think it took about about 7 to 10 days for mine to arrive. It was frustrating, cos I'd ordered some accessories, and they all shipped separately. So I'd get a package delivered to my apartment, and, Yayyy!!... oh... it's just the TV-to-iPod connector. The iPod itself was the last package to arrive.

I bought a little bitty fan heater to keep under my desk in the staff room. The very day I brought it to Nita JHS was the very day they turned on the heat for the first time. That was about ten days ago. It gets cold up in these here mountains. So the fan heater's been sequestered to my bathroom until such time as the staff room kerosene heaters are removed because it's "springtime."

boBo: I hate licorice, for the most part, I'm afraid. A friend of mine shared some Dutch licorice mints last night, and they were very licorice-y and nasty. Salt and licorice... that's like orange juice and natto.