Wednesday, October 13, 2004

manic-depressive

Something about being in Japan has made me a bit bipolar.

That's probably not the best way to explain it.
I'll try again:

The briefest friendly exchange makes me glow all over.

The smallest frustrations are huge.

Every feeling is intensified, and subject to change at a moment's notice.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way; I've talked to other new JETs about it as well. Just knowing that is comforting.

Monday, I found Ziploc leftover containers at the local supermarket. I soared.

I also attempted five times, and failed five times, to send the same e-mail to my mother, only to receive notice, one hour later, that the message couldn't be delivered. That was a small disappointment.

After trying two more times in the last two days, I decided today that I would give her a call from my cell phone after lunch. I wasn't exactly loving today's menu, but I finished eating as quickly as I could so I would have a few more minutes to talk to Mom. Stealing out into the hallway, I dialed the number, but I got a recorded message in Japanese. After a few moments, the English translation began: I couldn't place an international call because my phone wasn't registered with KDDI for international calls.

The hell it wasn't: I signed up for a special international plan when I bought the phone, for the express purpose of making discounted calls to the US. So I dialed the number given in the recorded message, to talk to someone live. I got past the operator with my mad Japanese skillz: "Sumimasen... gomen nasai... eigo?" ("Excuse me... I'm sorry... English?") She transfered me to an English-speaking operator with an Indian accent. I explained the situation, and she put me on hold for several seconds. Returning, she said I should be able to place international calls starting tomorrow.

I have to wait a flickin' day to talk to my own mother?! My feelings are completely disproportionate to the situation.

Even two hours later, thinking about it still makes me upset. But I'm at school, so I won't get upset. I can't get upset; they'd think I was a total loon.

So Mom,
if you're reading this,
call me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for calling - I so enjoyed our conversation. I so miss you ... Wish I could be there with you!
Love , Mom