Friday, January 30, 2004

Not Average!

"As to the first point, that of money. Well most guys know that women dig guys with money. Would Donald Trump be [copulating with] models if he wasn't rich? That question is rhetorical. Now I don't even believe this is wrong, I think it is just nature. But I also think women who are this way (and it is almost all of you) should be honest and admit that they are basically [prostitutes], and stop saying bad things about the so-called 'actual [prostitutes]' who are just trying to earn an honest living.

"Most women read this and say something like, 'Well I'm not the average woman because..blah...blah...not true...blah blah...my boyfriend/lover/husband/masseuse was poor...blah...blah.'

"If you thought something like this you are very likely the average woman. If you read it and went 'Hmmm...' and then you went back to doing physics, then you have a case."

-The Ladder Theory


In other news, I got an email from Isaku today. I knew he'd been working in DC, but I didn't know where. Turns out he'd been working in the Embassy of Japan (until Tuesday). Monday he was entering into a database the scores assigned to JET Program applicants, and he came across my application. He said he couldn't be sure, but it looked like my score was high enough to get me an interview.

This makes me happy and anxious. I (try to) have a practice, in such matters, of envisioning the best-case scenario while I still have something to do about it (for instance, while I'm filling out the application), and then assuming the worst-case once it's out of my hands, to minimize disappointment. This was something I forgot to do when I was visiting colleges, and for two years I was bitter about being stuck in Syracuse, cos Mount Holyoke had some crazy way of figuring out our household income which prevented me from getting all the financial aid I needed. Yeah, maybe I still am a little bitter....

I fear, though, that I have told too many people about this Japan possibility. Like, when Mom was pregnant in 1998, I really wanted to tell people that I was going to have a little brother or sister, but I didn't because I knew Mom and Kreg kinda wanted to keep it on the DL, at least for a few months. After the miscarriage, I was glad I hadn't told anyone, cos there was no one I had to untell.
Or when John and I first started going out, in that case I did tell the whole world, practically. Then ten weeks later, I was like, "Oh, crap."

So, come what may, I will command my senses to be content.

No comments: