Sunday, January 18, 2004

Oh, oh, oh, oh, stayin' awake, stayin' awake.

There's something about the Sunday afternoon that makes me lethargic. It wasn't always this way--I used to work on Sundays after church until 9pm, and I couldn't afford to be lethargic. But ever since I left Wegmans (two years ago!) I feel really sleepy after church. It doesn't help that I filled my belly at Applebees at lunchtime. But I'm trying not to fall asleep, because I want to stay up, watch Stargate SG-1 at 9, and then go to bed, so I'll wake up at a reasonable hour tomorrow morning. If I let myself fall asleep now, I'll sleep until 9, then watch Stargate, then stay up until 4am, then fall asleep again, and I won't wake up tomorrow until 11. I know this from experience.

I told my dad yesterday that I saw Mona Lisa Smile. "Oh yeah, I saw that too," he said.
"Really? With who?"
"Um," he thought, "oh yeah, I saw it with Mom."
"Oh, Grammy? Did she like it?"
"No, not really."
"What, she didn't like them making fun of that era? She was probably like, "Oh, those were the good old days.'"
"No, just the opposite. She said, 'It wasn't as bad as all that. They exaggerated everything. Except the husbands cheating on their wives; that happened all the time.'"
"Are you kidding me?" I laughed.
"No! I couldn't believe she said it."
But then, you have to know Grammy to know just how funny it is that she said that. I guess being married to my grandfather was a hellish experience. I never met him: he died of a massive heart attack before my parents got married. She'd divorced him before that, though: she went back to school for elementary education; the same day she got her certification, she stopped to put down a deposit on an apartment, came home, picked up Beth (who was five at the time), and moved out. My grandfather never did get over his surprise.
A couple of years ago, after dinner at her house, she said to me, out of the blue, "I'm so glad I'm not married anymore." I laughed. That's so great.

My grandmother is a remarkable woman. I just wish she weren't schizophrenic.

No comments: