Saturday, January 24, 2004

Some things I found online this, um, morning.

You ever think to yourself, Gee, I wonder if there are any mentally-ill people out there with their own websites?
Your search is over.

An excerpt:
When I was in Junior High school I was picked out by Mr. Right the Vice Principal to be made an example of as a non conformist. Of course I was the all good persona of the Creator who never made a mistake only knew the truth, everything I did was right and everything I ever said was true.

Admittedly, this isolated quote doesn't demonstrate mental illness, but a typical teenage belief of self-infallibility. Consider, however, Exhibit B:

Chris Hartmetz was the one who told me that there was two major groups of scientists at NASA which didn't interact with each other very much. They sat in separate areas of the cafeteria and didn't talk to each other. He said they were the "Macintosh Computer People" and the "IBM Computer People" and that they had disdain for each other and both groups thought that their ways were right and the others ways were bad. He proudly stated that he was an IBM type Windows Person himself. I noticed that the only thing he was doing with his computer at the time was polishing his resume and spending hours every day playing games.

Um, actually, this is fairly insightful as well. Hmm.... Oh, this:

Reasonably early on I met a woman named pam. At the time I would speak the truth into a tape recorder and when played it would come back edited like in the bible with poor grammar and sentence structure. I thought I came that way as a clue. It wasn't easy but I managed to get her to pay attention to me for five minutes which is all the time I needed wielding magic to convince anyone that I was God. She heard me talking and then heard the playback. I pointed out to her that everything I had said had perfect grammar and sentence structure and that he never could do me very well and what he said was never quite the same as what I said. I walked over to her and got face to face and quietly said "Shhh listen, that's not what I said. What I said had perfect grammar and sentence structure. That's not what I just said. He always gets it wrong". I also showed her a couple of other impossible things and she left in shock.

Pay dirt, baby.


This is as funny as it is long. And it is long.

And it seems that Merriam-Webster Online has changed their decor. Everybody together now: "Ooo...."


Holy crap. This grade school costs more than Syracuse University, when you consider that these kids don't live on campus. I don't care how nice their fancy flash intro is, I don't care that they've been around for over 100 years; Nottingham wasn't exactly... wait, my bad....
Nottingham wasn't... crap.
Okay, Nottingham... oh lord, that's pitiful.
Well who cares if some eliter-than-thou grade school actually has a functioning website? When I was at Nottingham, we lived on the land. We wrote on carpeted walls, not on those new-fangled "chalkboards." We put our energies into programming our graphing calculators, not designing webpages. We walked a quarter mile to our lockers in the GW, and we thought we were lucky... and we were.
So Nottingham wasn't exactly the foie gras of high schools, but then who eats that stuff anyway?

Edit February 1, 2004: It seems that since this post, my alma mater has gotten its act together and posted an actual web page. Congratulations.

No comments: