Saturday, January 31, 2004

Progress sucks.

I left my computer to defrag its hard drives at 11pm while I went to watch Stargate SG-1. Then The Outer Limits was on, so I stayed downstairs to watch that, too. Now it's 1pm, and I've returned to my computer to find only 20% of the C Drive defragmented, and the D Drive untouched. And it's not even like I can watch it, either. That's what was so great about my Gateway Pentium 120: defragging the hard drive took maybe an hour, and you could watch all those packets of data get shuffled around, like a mesmerizing screensaver. I understand that a 25Gb hard drive will take longer to defrag than a 1Gb drive, but the Celeron processor is faster, too, and I would certainly expect it to defrag in less than ten hours. And with Windows XP, I don't even get the nice display; just a couple of stripey bars that are not any fun to watch.

Scott, I concur wholeheartedly. Remind me to look at that deck and see if it's not marked.

"Beware a scheming Joe, a beastly creature who will not hesitate to engage in deception when it will further his long-term goals."
-Chinese fortune cookie (really!)

*sigh* I'm going to bed.

Oh, and make that four.

Old Comments (2)