Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Who is Ayn Rand?

I promised Joe today that I would finish reading Atlas Shrugged by the end of the month.

I bought the book in June of 2000, when I read somewhere that a survey done by the Library of Congress put Atlas Shrugged as the second most influential book, after the Bible. In a year and a half, I had covered the first thousand pages by bringing it to work with me (when I was still at Wegmans) and reading it on the bus and during my lunch breaks. I don't read very quickly--about one-and-a-half times faster than I speak--so considering I spent an average of a half an hour each day on the book, I was making pretty good time.

And then came... the John Galt Speech. (Dun dun DUN!)

I'd been warned, but against all advice I foolishly attempted to read it straight through on the first try. And so the book sat on my shelf for another two years. Joe continues to threaten to tell me how the book ends, but I'd really like to finish reading it for myself someday. If it weren't for my curiosity about the book's ending, my motivation would be almost nil. So now, in exchange for Joe's silence on the topic for the duration of the month, I will finish reading it by February 29th. I can make no promises as to whether or not I will read the Galt speech, but I will read what comes after.

Currently on p1014 of 1168 (and on the fifth page of the 60-page speech). I'll keep you posted.

No comments: